- This event has passed.
Physician Entrepreneurs – Lessons from the Front Lines
June 2 @ 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm EDT
- Lessons learned from a serial physician entrepreneur
- Surgical navigation innovation that combines imagery, software and iPhones
- Novel treatments for patients in respiratory failure
- Developing improved treatment for varicose veins
June 2, 2021
3:30 – 6 PM (EDT)
Exceptional clinical entrepreneurs creating innovative products for unmet needs
Physician & surgical entrepreneurs play an increasingly important role in medical device development.
They have direct familiarity with clinical realities, unmet needs, the health delivery culture of their physician & surgical colleagues–and the patients.
Some fulfill this role in parallel with their clinical career, while others have embraced a career in industry and venture with great success.
This session is moderated by a seasoned executive active in Boston’s MedTech innovation scene.
We bring together speakers from both career paths, with one serial physician entrepreneur providing a retrospective overview of lessons learned, and three surgeon founders of promising startups developing device-based solutions to support patients with respiratory failure, varicose veins, as well as spinal surgery.
Informative, insightful founder stories:
- Lessons learned from a serial physician entrepreneur – doing it more than once.
- Surgical navigation innovation that combines imagery, software and, yes, iPhones
- Novel treatments for patients in respiratory failure–a challenging area of medicine highlighted by COVID this past year
- Developing improved treatment for varicose veins–advancing versatility, convenience, standardization, & safety–all at once
Wed, June 2
3:30 – 6:00 PM (EST)
3:30 – 4:00 General Networking
4:00 – 5:30 Panelist Forum
5:30 – 6:00+ ‘Meet the Speakers’ & More Networking
$0 – FREE
- Join us early to network (3:30-4:00)
- Learn from our panelists (4:00-5:30, including Q&A)
- Then meet & speak with them yourself in our post-Forum Networking session (5:30-6:00+)
Mr. Brambilla leads Alira Health, which advises clients on all aspects of medical product development. He serves on several startup boards and co-founded the MetroWest Life Sciences Network.
Dr. Keller is an Assistant Professor in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Johns Hopkins University & affiliated faculty at the Harvard-MIT Biomedical Engineering Center. His research is focused on mechanical support of circulatory and respiratory failure, organ-device interactions, & extracorporeal organ perfusion.
TOPIC: Founding story of X-COR Therapeutics, Inc. – a development stage medical device company working to advance a novel extra-corporeal ventilatory therapy to support patients with respiratory failure
Dr. Aklog has been a technology innovator in cardiac surgery at Harvard Medical School and Mt. Sinai School of Medicine. He now leads PAVmed, a commercial-stage multi-product medical technology company. He previously co-founded four medical device cos. and is on the board of AdvaMed.
TOPIC: He will discuss his team’s approach to innovation including factors for success, common hurdles, and how to access capital.
Dr. Roche is a vascular surgeon specializing in venous pathology, and minimally invasive treatments. His new system for preparation of foam for varicose vein sclerotherapy adds convenience and versatility while advancing standardization and safety.
TOPIC: An ongoing ‘case history’ story from a founding surgeon who is navigating the business development path for improved therapy of varicose veins.
Dr. Dorman is a board certified neurosurgeon, programmer, and founder of Circinus Medical Technologies. He has developed Bolt, a novel spinal navigation system. It runs on an off the shelf Apple mobile device, The goal is 510(k) approval.
TOPIC: A ‘forefront’ story for our high tech era: Bolt Surgical Navigation combines surgery, imaging, software, and a consumer product, the iPhone.
June 2, 2021 Forum
Highlights Preview Short – Watch on Vimeo