The Marketing & Sales SIG is a group of marketing and sales professionals committed to the Medical Device, Technology and Services industries, whose purpose is to provide value via expertise and education to individuals and companies in the larger community interested in learning how to market and sell medical devices more effectively.
The Marketing & Sales SIG serves as a resource for education, information and professional development to the community of medical device, technology and services practitioners and companies by:
- Providing venues and platforms for the dissemination and discussion of content designed to introduce or upgrade marketing and sales strategies and tactics, or to provide insight that may improve the current practices of individuals or companies in the MDG and medical device community.
- Fostering dialogue and collaboration between individuals, groups and companies interested in partnerships, as either an acquirer or provider of specific types of marketing and/or sales expertise, in order to accomplish specific objectives.
- Developing alliances with complementary SIGs in order to harmonize with or augment content related to marketing and sales topics
To be the primary source of marketing and sales expertise for medical device, technology and services practitioners and companies seeking to improve marketing and sales initiatives in order to elevate business outcomes.
The Marketing & Sales SIG will:
- Facilitate dialogue and collaboration between MDG members, medical groups, companies and individuals seeking and providing marketing & sales expertise. Specifically, our target audience includes individuals interested in marketing, business development and sales.
- Define Marketing as "Identifying & satisfying customers profitably" which involves implementing the components of the marketing mix (product, people, positioning, packaging, place, price, promotion) in a "one-to-many" context, to prompt prospective customers to indicate a desire to engage in the exchange process – ultimately for the purpose of meeting the financial objectives of the enterprise.
- Define Sales as a process of "converting prospects into customers", using a "one-to-one" context that requires face-to-face negotiations with the end customer or distributor, involving techniques that range from complex consultative, problem-solving or opportunity-defining sessions to basic feature, advantage and benefit demonstrations.
- Programs will educate participants to make them more effective in marketing and sales initiatives, using vehicles such as case studies, marketing clinics, seminars, articles, social media groups and panel discussions. Marketing and Sales topics will include but will not be limited to strategic and tactical best practices in areas such as advertising, branding, market research, social media, marketing communications, sales and channel management, customer relationship management and ethical practices.
To be a Leader and/or member of this SIG, you must be a member of MDG. Leaders / members must attend meetings and/or routinely contribute ideas, administrative help, or both.
Marketing & Sales SIG Chair
President, JD Technologies, LLC
LinkedIn: John Knott
John M. Knott started his career with GE in Lynn, Massachusetts as a product design engineer and graduated from their rigorous Engineering Career Development Program. This was followed by senior design/new product design responsibility with United Technologies Corporation where he transitioned into marketing and sales. With this experience, coupled with an MBA, he achieved assignments of increasing responsibilities with established high tech companies as well as start-ups.
He has successfully represented manufacturers by selling products in the northeast region of the United States and throught out the world since 1989.
The common denominator with John Knott’s extensive sales and marketing experience and accomplishments has been “identifying and satisfying customer values better than the competition can or will do” and selling technical products and/or services resulting in increased revenue and profit.
Marketing & Sales SIG Co-Chair
Founder and Managing Partner of Get Better Sales
Linked In: David Hamacher
As Founder and Managing Partner of Get Better Sales, a consulting and coaching company focused on driving business growth year after year, David Hamacher is a recognized expert in the area of creating efficient sales systems. Since 1994, he has helped more than 300 client companies increase top line performance and improve bottom line results using his unique Guaranteed Better Sales Growth system.
An award-winning speaker, David has delivered hundreds of presentations and training workshops on the topics of driving new business growth, building sales team cohesion, and developing and deploying technology.
He currently serves as Co-Chair of the Marketing and Sales Special Interest Group of the Medical Development Group, and is a member of the WPI Venture Forum. David currently holds a professional membership with Sales and Marketing Executives International and is active in the Boston Chapter. He is a graduate of the Program on Negotiation (PON) at Harvard Law School, and has been certified as a Strategic Talent Advisor. In addition, he served three terms as Director of the New England Chapter of the National Speaker’s Association.
David has a BA in Broadcast Journalism and English Literature from Ricker College, where he was selected for membership in Who’s Who among Students in American Colleges and Universities. He lives at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Massachusetts with his wife, Cathy and daughter Emily.